Sunday, June 2, 2024

Papadopoulos Gerasimos Sofoklis, Transcribing Neo-byzantine chants ίη Turkish five-line score: Why and how?









PDF 

Περίληψη
In this project, I am developing the rationale for undertaking and the way in which I have been working for the last three years on the transcription of psaltic pieces into the Turkish five-line score. In particular, my presentation is divided into three sections: The first one, briefly describes various pre-existing transcriptions of Byzantine music in the Western score, made by musicians and / or researchers of the near or distant past. The other two sections focus on my transcriptional project, explaining, on the one hand, "why" it has been attempted, and, on the other, "how" it has been handled , respectively. Hence, in the second section, I set out the aims of my transcription, which relate to my overall personal desire to disseminate this musical idiom to musicians and music lovers who come from similar oriental-modal musical systems and not only. They are also related to my idea of organizing courses of teaching the psaltic art, which would be impossible to carry out on the basis of the New Method notation. Finally, in the third section, I analyse the general theoretical character of my transcription (descriptive? prescriptive? paradigmatic?) and its specific details: how to divided into measures, how to transcribe known phrases or specific notational figures, how to use legatos, the degree of interference or not in the original text, how to express micro-intervals through the use of special accidentals, the way in which the hymnological text is transferred, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment